04 June 2008

Name that animal - round 4


Tess was right about the baby Fennec fox, which, to my surprise, is a fairly popular pet. Thousands of photos HERE on Google image search, including the one I used.

And MW with appropriate subtlety indicated that he had identified the other by Googling "rare big-eared rodent," and sure enough, such a search yields the long-eared jerboa as the first hit, including a delightful National Geographic video which is linked HERE, but which I won't embed.

It has become clear to me that cute, fuzzy, cuddly creatures are too well known to the TYWKIWDBI visitorship. So we'll shift gears and offer the image above, photographed from a container of pond water currently sitting on my desk. No need to provide the genus/species of the critter that is currently terrorizing the tadpoles - just the "feline" colloquial name or the identify of the creature it will eventually mature into.

1 comment:

  1. AArrrgghhh! Hideous creature from the deep!! And you keep it on your desk? Stan!!

    I don't know - a pond predator, a nymph of some sort: I'm guessing here ... a dragonfly larva? A damselfly nymph? No ... that doesn't correlate with "feline" I suppose.

    Mieke's stumped. Ask Tess? Young enquiring mind might know?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...