06 February 2020

"You Don't Know Me" - Ray Charles


I have blogged this song (though not this version) before, but after watching Groundhog Day last night I felt it was worth reposting.  Wikipedia lists about 60 covers for this Eddy Arnold song, including Willie Nelson, Elvis Presley, Mickey Gilley, Bob Dylan, and Emmylou Harris, but in my mind it "belongs" forever to the incomparable Ray Charles.

Reposted from 2014 to add the lyrics for this unforgettable classic:

You give your hand to me
And then you say, "Hello"
And I can hardly speak
My heart is beating so
And anyone can tell
You think you know me well
Ahh, but you don't know me.

You don't know the one
Who dreams of you each night
And longs to kiss your lips
And longs to hold you tight
To you I'm just a friend
That's all I've ever been
'Cause you don't know me.

I never knew the art of making love
Though my heart aches with love for you
I'm afraid and shy, well I let my chance go by
A chance that you might love me too.

Well, you give your hand to me, girl
And then you say, "Goodbye"
And I watched you walk away
Beside the lucky guy.
Well, you'll never ever know
That I'm the one who loved you so
Well, you don't know me.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct, sir. Ray Charles' version is the best version (although Meryl Streep does a good job in the movie 'Postcards From the Edge').

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...